Relax your mind with your company.

5 ways to spend time with yourself.  

Having friends and family to hang out with is fun but most people don’t take time out of their days to hang out with themselves doing something fun or that they enjoy. Being in your own company may sound boring to others, but it is a good way to learn things about yourself and ease your mind. Here are 5 things you can do to build a better relationship with yourself while also having useful and fun outlets.  


The first thing that you can do to spend time with yourself is journaling. There are no specific rules to your writing when it comes to journaling which is one of the reasons, I suggest journaling as a good outlet for expressing yourself You can write down your feelings, what you did during the day, qualities that you like about yourself or others and more. While doing this process you could possibly find out that you're a good writer and explore different forms of writing such as poems which you can share with others or choose to keep for yourself. 


A second activity you can participate in is painting, which is another type of creative outlet. Like Journaling there are no rules to painting. Painting allows you to express your emotions through colors, shapes, and textures. I enjoy painting on canvases then hanging the finished products in my room. You can paint something small or large, paint self-portraits, or paint objects and characters you like.  


An image I took of a cool art image by Ernie Barnes apart of his Sugar Shack art collection. It showed me how much emotion you can display with the help of a canvas, paint and other tools.

Self-care is another form of spending time with yourself, and I think it is one of the most important ones because it can build your self-esteem and overall create healthier habits for yourself. Self-care can consist of trying new products, going to get your hair done, or simply taking more time out of your morning or night to take care of your skin, body or hair. Our bodies are things that we should cherish and love and if we aren't taking care of it or spending time to maintain our wellness then it can affect how we see or feel about ourselves.  


A fourth way to spend time with yourself is a healthy non intense form of exercise but I don’t think about it that way. Walking is something we do constantly every day but not for the purpose of relaxation nor for an extended amount of time. While walking you can listen to a podcast, take pictures of nature, or simply clear your mind. Nature is a beautiful thing that unfortunately many people take for granted. Walking allows you to appreciate nature and yourself. It also allows you to get extra steps in for the day at your leisure. 


My favorite bridge to walk across back home in Downtown Des Moines to clear my mind. I took this right before I got drenched by the rain.


Lastly, listening to music is
something you can do by yourself, which is an activity I enjoy the most. Music is so versatile, and you can find a song for just about anything. Music helps me express my feelings when I'm sad, happy, or feeling confident without having to tell someone how I'm feeling. It also lets me explore different cultures and regions of the world which can expand my knowledge of other communities. Something fun you can do is find songs you really like and create a playlist for yourself. 
 


Now that you have heard of a few things you can do to spend time with yourself I hope you will take time out your week to try one of these activities. You may do them monthly but if you want to gain a better relationship with yourself or simply find new hobbies, I recommend doing it weekly to build the habit. Enjoy keeping yourself company.  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homework or relax?

Black Girl Tug of War

Vibrant Coffeehouse & Kitchen review